The Blood Fields of Mississippi, How could modern Day Slavery still Exist!!

Posted on

by Gregg Greer

On this day Apr 12, 1861:

The bloodiest four years in American history begin when Confederate shore batteries under General P.G.T. Beauregard open fire on Union-held Fort Sumter in South Carolina’s Charleston Bay. During the next 34 hours, 50 Confederate guns and mortars launched more than 4,000 rounds at the poorly supplied fort. On April 13, 1861- U.S. Major Robert Anderson surrendered the fort to U.S. President Abraham Lincoln who a year later issued a proclamation calling for On September 22, 1862; Lincoln announced that he would issue a formal emancipation of all slaves in any state of the Confederate States of America.

Today Glendora, Mississippi is a small town located in Tallahatchie County , surrounding the  Tallahatchie, an Indian name meaning Rock River, was founded in 1833 by settlers crossing the Mississippi River through small Indian trails.

Nearly 150 years after Civil War and the Emancipation Proclamation, Poor Blacks are trapped by extreme poverty, isolation, fear and shame, (some stories of rape) and psychological brainwashing some of the blacks remain victims of modern-slavery in rural areas of the South, Specifically, in Glendora Mississippi an area where poor black workers locked into work in labor fields, factories and assorted industries. The region has been called “The Most Southern Place on Earth” because of its unique racial, cultural, and economic history. It was one of the richest cotton growing areas and, before the American Civil War (1861-1865). So the question becomes one of race, and how does Slavery still exist today.  According to Research Data from the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center:

Slavery still exists today. Whether it is called human trafficking, bonded labor, forced labor, or sex trafficking, it is present worldwide, including within the United States and, increasingly, in your local community.

An estimated 12 – 27 million people are caught in one or another form of slavery. Between 600,000 and 800,000 are trafficked internationally, with as many as 17,500 people trafficked into the United States. Nearly three out of every four victims are women. Half of modern-day slaves are children.

Glendora Population (Facts)

According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Glendora has a population of approximately 285 people, most of which are property owners and still actively engage in the production of such commercial crops as corn, rice, soybean, and cotton. The genders of the town are almost split in half between male and female with nearly 60%, being youth. This increasing population of youth is evidence that Glendora , a small town in Mississippi.

There were 73 housing units at an average density of 515.2 per square mile (201.3/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 4.56% White, 92.28% African American, 0.70% Native American, and 2.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.16% of the population.

The per capita income for the village was $7,044. About 68.2% of families and 62.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 83.3% of those under the age of eighteen and 40.0% of those sixty five or over.

Glendora (Delta) Racist History (Facts)

“I have taken a look at the research (Reverend Greer), and I truly believe this is happening, “that Glendora Mississippi and the Delta Region has a definable racist past, this is so important to note because so many people have been senselessly killed – too many of them already forgotten,”  says Greer-History shows that in this community (Glendora)  people who are at the forefront of the Civil Rights battle believe this region in Mississippi has a deep-rooted and long-term history of racial issues and Civil Rights Violations.

Here are two well-known Historical examples;

• The Murder of Emmett Till: The Brutal Killing that Mobilized the Civil Rights Movement started in a Glendora storefront  when Young Till whistled at a white woman, and was pistol-whipped him several times then shot and thrown of the banks of the Tallahatchie River.
  • Murder of Twenty-three-year-old Mack Charles Parker, a black truck driver from Lumberton, was accused of raping a white woman (his long time girlfriend). Witnesses had seen the couple together in the past, but on April 25, 1959, Parker was taken and dragged by a lynch mob from the jail in the rural logging town of Poplaville and shot to death on a river bridge north of Bogalusa, Louisiana three days before his scheduled trial date.
Plantation House in Glendora

Humanitarians and Civil Rights advocates around the country believe that in Glendora on plantations land owners hold these poor black workers against their will.  “Slavery never ended there (Glendora) on Plantations and that’s the point, it never ended, It just disguised itself in other forms,” says Antoinette Harrell, who is a Civil Rights Activist based in Louisiana and has documented the plight of people she describes as modern slaves in America for the organization she founded called Slavery.Org.

According to Amanda Kloer who is Change.org Editor and has been a full-time abolitionist in several capacities for seven years, “We often talk about historical slavery and modern-day slavery as two unconnected phenomenon that happen to share similar characteristics. But there has been an unbroken chain of slavery in the U.S. and around the world since the 13 amendment abolished the practice in 1865. In Mississippi and Louisiana, African-American slaves became sharecroppers who became workers in personage who became victims of debt bondage and that exploitation continues today.”

Modern Slavery in Glendora, Miss

Many struggle to understand how this is happening in 2012.  The fact is people are forced to stay on plantations in Glendora, Miss., and Roseland, La., and other places where brutal plantation landowners use isolation and threats of violence to keep these poor Black workers under control.

Yes, slavery still exists in today in Mississippi and Louisiana, says Timothy Arden Smith, who captured the story in a documentary called “The Cotton Pickin’ Truth … Still on the Plantation,” Others express disbelief and denial because of the perception of racial progress in America, such as having a Black president. “

The upper class Blacks look at it and they are shocked,” said Timothy Smith. “They feel ‘this is not going on we have a Black president.’ ”It is out of sight and out of mind for those who know slavery exists, he added.The Smiths said the areas are isolated, deep inland from main roads and “far away from civilization,” where plantation owners do what they want

Timothy Smith pointed out that the film gives meaning to the human experience and how most people are yet enslaved on one level or another. He cited his colleagues in the media industry who choose to focus on partying and frivolity, fearful of taking on a serious issue such as slavery in modern America.

Glendora, Miss., Mayor Johnny Thomas agrees bogus debt schemes like peonage and sharecropping were used to exploit Black people well into the 20th century. This was his experience growing up as a sharecropper in the late 1950s.

“It’s pre-meditated,” Mayor Thomas explains. “You were kept indebted to the point where you couldn’t leave.” In these cases the plantation owner pays the debt, then the “debtor” and—in most instances—his entire family work the plantation to repay the money. Only the debt is never caught up.

While not bought and sold at auction block, these poor Blacks are forced to work, live in shanty shacks, and often have no indoor plumbing and are often trapped, tied to land where they owe owners debts that are never repaid, according to an activist and researcher. Some Blacks are even forced to pay rent to White landowners for dilapidated housing but are fearful of identifying landlords and owners.

The Number: Average price of slave has decreased

The average price of a slave has decreased during the past 200 years, according to Kevin Bales, a leading abolitionist who has written several books about modern-day slavery.

In 1809, the average price of a slave was $40,000 when adjusted to today’s money. In 2009, the average price of a slave was $90, Bales says. This may be one reason Plantation Owners use fear and intimidation tactics in Glendora.

The chart above may prove why to this day to this day racism remains pervasive on both sides of the conflict at its heart, slavery is an inhuman perversion of a simple economic principle: the best way to maximize profits is by minimizing the cost of labor. In today’s global economy, the seemingly inexhaustible demand for cheap goods and services has created a vast, largely invisible market for easily replenished supplies of men, women and children who are forced to work against their will, for little or no pay, and under constant threat of violence or intimidation.

Gregg Greer President of the Urban Christian Leadership Institute has been a advocate of Human Rights does feel that the problem of human right violations exist in Glendora in the Mississippi Delta Area. “People are being held against their and made to do forced labor then someone has knowledge about it! period! What we need is a Justice Department investigation,” Says, Greer. We hope information such as this will “Break the grip of Shame.”  If we focus we can help unravel the complicated tangle of criminal enterprises trading in human life that might be happening.”

We want to make people aware about what’s going on so we can stop what’s going on,” Tobias Smith said

For more information and what you can do to help write to:

Urban Christian Leadership Institute. 2216 Booker Ave Charlotte, NC 28216

US Department of Justice 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Civil Rights Division Criminal Section – PHB Washington, DC 20530

Change.org is a social action platform that empowers anyone, anywhere to start, join, and win campaigns for social change.

Love and Peace, G.Greer

Gregg Greer, Chief Editor of One(1) World

Advertisements

14 thoughts on “The Blood Fields of Mississippi, How could modern Day Slavery still Exist!!

Queen Size Sheets said:
    April 16, 2012 at 12:56 am

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be really one thing which I feel I might by no means understand. It seems too complicated and very wide for me. I am looking ahead to your next submit, I will try to get the grasp of it!

oneworld01 said:
      April 26, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thanks for your responses-Please continue with the critical information-it only make the journal better. Feel free to contribute, Anytime. Stay blessed!

Gregg Greer-Editor

oneworld01 said:
      April 26, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thanks for your responses-Please continue with the critical information-it only make the journal better. Feel free to contribute. Stay blessed

G.Greer-Editor

Sundiii,a slave said:
    October 25, 2013 at 3:21 am

You can take a slave out of the field & put him in an office but he;s still a slave. Every person is still a slave. Easy to see if a rich CEO owes millions for a mansion, because debt is always slavery, rent is always slavery, insurance is slavery (imperfect), taxation is slavery. People can enslave themselves-work too much & die young (Sam Walton), & obviously Walmart’s employees are still slaves & very poor because of low wages. The wage system IS really slavery which means “controlled by someone or something.” “Capitalism” was a new name for slavery, not a new system. Study “child labor” in USA, especially migrant workers but also any business owner who’s children work with parents. Slavery has nothing to do with getting paid or not, if it’s based on that then anyone who gets paid one cent in their entire lifetime they would not be a slave. But millionaire CEO’s are slaves too. The wage system is the problem, not the solution, & USA causes world poverty by starting over 50 wars to stop “social injustice” (Socialism/communism) so study Third World Traveler to see how, especially ROGUE STATE by Wm Blum. Also many other books.

Noelia said:
    July 12, 2014 at 5:44 am

It’s hard to find your blog in google. I found it on 12
    spot, you should build quality backlinks , it will help you to increase traffic.
    I know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo
    tricks

fibromyalgia bracelet said:
    September 24, 2014 at 1:30 am

I am curious to find out what blog platform you arre using?
    I’m experiencing some small security problems with my latest website annd I would like to find something more
    risk-free. Do you have any solutions?

oneworld01 responded:
      September 25, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Word Press is great! Good Luck

Jessica Norman said:
    June 23, 2016 at 11:13 pm

My grandfather born abt. 1904 was a cotton farmer on Iles plantation Beat 2 Rural Tallahatchie , Ms which I never had the honors of meeting him or any of his family members limited information is all I get when I do research . DEAD END

jerry Washington said:
    June 28, 2016 at 4:20 am

I came through Glendora Mississippi back in 2011 I had just got me some money from my Android and the first thing I wanted to do was give my kids and their mother some money and then I bought me a Ford Crown Victorias and I decided I would drive through Mississippi with a young lady who’s from Arkansas across the river but we drove to Mississippi the first thing that hit me was the sign that says welcome to Mississippi it was the most fearful thing I’ve eve I came through Glendora Mississippi back in 2011 I had just got me some money from my injuries and the first thing I wanted to do was give my kids and their mother some money and then I bought me a Ford Crown Victorias and I decided I would drive through Mississippi with a young lady who’s from Arkansas across the river but we drove the Mississippi the first thing that hit me was the sign that says welcome to Mississippi it was the most fearful thing I’ve ever ever came across because keep in mind I grew up knowing about the deaths of Emmett Till Megan ever in the beatings of Fannie Lou Hamer I knew about Ella Baker Bob Moses and the few other civil rights leader who dared to get people prepared to vote I know about the prison I know about the way folks were treated electrocuted so many things about Mississippi that stays on my mind who stayed with him for a long time finally left they were in the Mississippi Delta in Greenwood and Greenville needless to say they may have left Mississippi Mississippi still lives in them so I have nothing to do when I know that Mississippi runs through my blood although I was going to Massachusett they were in the Mississippi Delta Greenwood and Greenville needless to say they may have left Mississippi Mississippi still lives in them so I have nothing to do when I know that Mississippi runs through my blood although I was going to Massachusetts no more no less up sound. But as I drove through I saw him until Parkway I said wel but as I drove through I thought Emmett Till part where I said well here’s an opportunity and as I drove through this town I saw these negr I saw these Negroes big and strong and the Nabi 2 kids running in and out of the little store where they were I guess plan so we had to drive all the way to the back because this is where they drop them until the body and this is where the museum was Anacorte so we had to drive all the way to the back because this is where they drop them until the body and this is where the museum was and of course I went to the museum but it was close but immediatel but admittedly they show me where they buried in tha but admittedly they show me where they buried in there and that’s when I dropped to the ground I couldn’t walk I was so hurt I was so sad that I nearly vomited it took all the Tiffany strength to lift me up and Carry Me leaving me on her shoulders to the car people want to know why I was crying but there it was the place with Emmett Till was killed in the cotton gin that they put around his neck folks I’m still upset about it I’m still upset about the hangings in Tulsa the one in Chicago the one in Nebraska people I will never get over seeing the burning bodies of black men in Texas Kohl’s all those young men Rosewood so many other places the Arkansas alrigh the Arkansas a riot of 189 the Arkansas a riot of 1890 many others but then it tells think shortl the Arkansas a riot of 1890 many others but then it feels think shortly so I’ve been sitting there for hours watching the film reading newspapers account listen to his mom’s voic listen to his mom’s voice and understanding her pain and the courage it took for her to leave the body open so they can see the Galaxy eye listen to his mom’s voice and understanding her pain and the courage it took for her to leave the body open so they can see the Galaxy guys so they can see where is tongue was cut and the holdup was shot in his head he had the courage to let us see and bear witness to that outrageous by bear attack listen to his mom’s voice and understanding her pain and the courage it took for her to leave the body open so they can see the Galaxy out eyes so they can see where his tongue was cut and the holdup was shot in his head he had the courage to let us see and bear witness to that outrageous barbaric acts of a people who Last of Us even even during the trial. Forgive us even if we didn’t work hard enough I promise I’ll always remember now or always keep your name in the Forefront of this present day life that we live Emmett Till will never be forgotten you will your name will live on forever

Ricky Collins said:
    October 30, 2016 at 2:16 pm

I (Ricky) went to school in Minter City MS, born in the mid-50’s. My father(Dewitt) from Ruleville MS, marry my mother(Beatrice-part Cherokee Indian) from Glendora MS. My father owned 55 acres of farm land approx. seven miles from Drew MS and approx. 10 miles from Minter City MS. I believed that in the End Times and before the White Throne Judgments of God, all will not be forgotten. Keep the faith and press on in Jesus name.

oneworld01 responded:
      October 30, 2016 at 4:06 pm

W.c. Williams said:
        December 17, 2016 at 5:19 am

I am from Minter City, Miss. Emmit Till was kidnapped from his grandfather’s house in Money, Ms, 12 miles south of Minter City, then brought to a gin near Glendora, which is 8 miles north, of Minter City, and killed there. His body was found in an area called Pecan Point, in theTallahatchie river, between Glendora and Philipp, Ms. I was eight years old that year.

Ricky Collins said:
        January 13, 2017 at 8:32 am

Thanks for the feed back.

Ricky Collins said:
        January 13, 2017 at 8:37 am

Thanks! for the feed back.