NY Police Union is wrong! but turning their backs on New York Mayor is a definite case of “Chickens coming home to Roost.”
When De Blasio’s remarks were being shown on large TV monitors outside the Christ Tabernacle Church. Police union officials accused the mayor of fostering a climate of mistrust that contributed to the killings of Officer Ramos and his partner. Vice President Joe Biden spoke and expressed condolences directly to Ramos’ two sons.
New York Police Commissioner Bratton said Ramos and his partner were assassinated because of who they were. “They were killed for their color,” the commissioner said. “They were blue.”
The question that many may ask is; based on the overall, climate of confusion, are police really the victims? While it is true that these officers died tragically in a sequence of events that was totally uncalled for, and as many know their killer was a mentally disturbed individual, with a reported history of psychological episodes. If we are to ask ourselves the question is, Are Police really the victims? Lets look closer at some facts:
- The NYPD’s stop-and-frisk practices had long raised serious concerns over racial profiling, illegal stops and privacy rights. The Department’s own report on its stop-and-frisk activity confirm what many people in communities of color across the city have long known: The police are/have been stopping hundreds of thousands of law-abiding New Yorkers every year, and the vast majority are black and Latino.
- An analysis by the NYCLU revealed that innocent New Yorkers have been subjected to police stops and street interrogations more than 4 million times since 2002, and that black and Latino communities continue to be the overwhelming target of these tactics.
- It was wrong for police unions and their support groups to say that Eric Garner was overweight at 350-400 pounds and battling asthma, many posters on the sites TheeRant and PoliceOne.com said the Staten Island father and husband brought his death last Thursday upon himself. They said his health contributed to his cardiac arrest, and that their interpretation of an eyewitness video of Garner’s altercation with police last Thursday was that he resisted arrest.
- It is wrong for Police to protest at a funeral, period! Take your protest elsewhere!
- As far as the Chickens coming to Roost for New York, Mayor de Blasio, who campaigned on a promise to “end the era of stop-and-frisk policing,” moved slowly to do that. He (de Blasio) announced a deal to drop the city’s appeal of a court ruling that found the NYPD’s use of stop-and-frisk violated the constitutional rights of minorities. Mostly it seems that, the questionable “Stop and Frisk,” police policy is still on the forefront of their agenda, and has not stopped.
In addition-adding to the confusion by fighting against the Mayor, who is the head of their community is a total misuse of their time. More importantly the fact of the matter it shows that our Police who are trained sworn public servants may not care about the hurt families, divided communities and the large number of citizens who have withdrawn their support and they have expressed disappointment with the perceived mishandling the Police Brutality situation. This erosion of the public trust between Police and the community, will need to be resolved.