For Immediate Release: Social Justice Organizers-Protest (DCFS) call for immediate attention and investigation by Officials and immediate DCFS overhaul
For Immediate Release: Social Justice Organizers-Protest Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) call for immediate attention and investigation by Officials and immediate DCFS overhaul
Press Briefing and Protest Rally
Friday, JULY 14, 2017 at 11 am
DCFS OFFICES-1921 S Indiana Ave, Chicago, IL 60616
The questions are timely, as DCFS reels from disclosures that it has systematically failed to protect children. For example, a recent Chicago Tribune investigation put the spotlight on three Cook County cases in which children died of beatings or starvation shortly after DCFS closed investigations into mistreatment in their homes, and the tragic case of Semaj Crosby, who was found dead in April in Joliet Township after the agency had closed four neglect investigations.
We (organizers) agree with the recent reports DCFS had creating “a toxic work environment in which it is foreseeable that some investigators did take dangerous shortcuts that can lead to lethal errors.” More importantly, these problems continue to this very day.
The organizers plan to cover the following primary issues:
- DCFS Investigators were being pressured to close Child abuse cases even when they had failed to perform basic tasks like contacting police or doctors. In order for true reform to occur-the department must look into past issues and advise the public.
- Under George Sheldon’s watch Investigators were being pressured to close abuse cases even when they had failed to perform basic tasks like contacting police or doctors.
- We(group) is also calling for, a detailed ethics probe up to prosecution if Sheldon’s actions lead to contracts with individuals who had ties to Sheldon.
(Child Abuse Policy Cases)
- Under Illinois law, most records of unfounded child abuse or neglect cases are expunged within a year. That’s a dangerous standard that must change.
- To save lives we are seeking a monthly public informative that DCFS reports to parental enhance and inform about rights and DCFS policies. We have spoken to numerous parents who have suffered at the hands of DCFS, resulting in the loss of their rights. Must have more public discourse.
This group of national Community organizers has been working diligently to address and combat official corruption, miscarriages of justice and Police Brutality in Chicago.
We must review the past issues specifically from the past two years at DCFS. For example according to a recent article from the Chicago Tribune with stated, “George Sheldon was adroit at tapping federal funds and brought tens of millions of new dollars into Illinois by clearing away bureaucratic tangles. But his tenure was clouded by an ongoing ethics probe into contracts that benefited some of his Florida associates, as well as several high-profile child fatalities that highlighted investigative shortfalls in the troubled agency.” We (organizers) believe- We do understand that the Governor of Illinois recently put a brand new head in charge of the DCFS These more recent issues must be addressed, and the public must be informed!
Gregg L.Greer, President of Freedom First International
Recent- Change national perceptions of people of color and others about the serious and real need for DCFS overhaul.
WHAT: Social Justice Organizers-Protest Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) call for immediate attention by Officials and immediate DCFS overhaul
WHERE: DCFS OFFICES (outside)-1921 S Indiana Ave, Chicago, IL 60616
Friday, July 14. 2017, at 11:00 am
WHO: Freedom First International, Violence Interrupters, Tree of Life Justice League of Illinois, Campaign to End the Death Penalty, and others.
WHY: Social Justice Organizers-Protest Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) call for immediate attention by Officials and immediate DCFS overhaul due to widespread abuses. We must correct past issues.
PHOTO/STORY OPP: Civil Rights Organizers and Community Folks who want change nationally in the wake of growing criticism of the Department of Children and Family Services Policy. This group is looking to effect change on a state level and bring attention to the epic failure of the Department of Children and Family Services.
AREA of INTEREST: Public Safety/ National Policy Reform against_unfair Public Policy with Children’s rights both locally and statewide.
National (local) News and other media surrounding the incident:
Are media advisers willing to give one on one interviews: Yes
Lead Activist-Media Adviser